15 January, 2011

Excuses, excuses. And a new FM visit!

I have been a horrible blogger. This week has been pretty smooth, but the most important part of this blog is the one element I have forgotten the last 3 recipes: photographic proof!
So, this week, we will start over at #2. A few extra recipes never hurt anyone, right? (Although, I can foresee myself on January 30th, coming back to this post and saying "Those 3 recipes count!!")


Decided to try out another Farmer's Market today. Leon Springs Farmers Market is further from my house, but their website indicated that they sold free-range chicken, which I could not find at Pearl FM last weekend.
For $72, I came away with:

  • 2lbs grass-fed ground beef
  • 2 whole chickens (free-range, antibiotic/hormone free)
  • 6 tomatoes
  • 4 turnips
  • 8 small red potatoes
  • large bag of spinach
  • 5 oranges
  • 8oz of pecans
  • 4 whole grain, wood stove cooked pizza crusts

Everything, once again, comes from local hill-country areas (except the oranges, they, like my husband, are from the RG Valley)

I'll be the first to admit, $72 is pretty pricey. But cooking for the two of us will not use up all of these items in a week. The meats were the overkill, I've got one of the chickens in the Crockpot now to debone and freeze (and to get some yummy broth from). The ground beef is in the freezer for another time.
My biggest dilemma is how to cook the turnips. But I've been told, if you treat them like potatoes and mash them up, they can be pretty good and have a radish-like bite to them. We'll see how that goes over...

Recipes last week that were not recorded:

  • Roasted tomato soup with ham and mozzarella "sandwiches" on Portabellas
  • Crockpot Roast (with carrots, onions, grass-fed beef-- no celery, because I couldn't find it organic. Why is celery so important to be organic? It's at the top of the "Dirty Dozen" list, and it provides no nutritional value anyway.)

Options for this week:

  • Rachel Ray's Chicken with Scallion-Lime Sauce and Sweet Carrot Rice
  • Spinach-Sausage Pizza (homemade tomato sauce cooking right now!)
  • Something that goes well with mashed turnips as a side
  • Some kind of soup with the broccoli, potatoes and onions I still have sitting around (and the chicken broth being made as a by-product of the the Crockpot chicken??)
My Master's Program starts Wednesday, but we have Monday off and a half day Friday, so I don't see this affecting my cooking schedule anytime soon.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment